Checklist For Professional Permits
- Register your project by completing the Project Registration Form. The Film Commission will reply with further details.
- Please read all details below for information regarding fees, police requests, city owned locations and insurance requirements.
- The City of Savannah is now accepting online permit applications for professional films through eproval. Eproval is a cloud based, digital permitting solution that allows real time communication between the applicant and all City of Savannah reviewers. Early application is highly recommended. The logistical complexity of the project may affect time needed for approval. Please submit all forms a minimum of five working days before any filming activity is to take place. Submitting an application does not qualify as an issued permit and does not guarantee approval.
- The City of Savannah does not require a film permit if filming activity is contained entirely to private property. Should filming, or any associated activity, impact public space such as sound, light spillage, or increased traffic resulting from the activity, a permit may be required. The City of Savannah requires productions to notify all businesses and residents within a two-block radius of all filming related activity on either public or private property regardless if a permit is issued. This includes the rental of private businesses for various production needs. Productions are required to operate in accordance with all local and state ordinances.
- Upload your Community Notification Letter in your eproval permit application, and then distribute on YELLOW paper at least 48hrs in advance of filming activity per location. For an example of a notification letter, please click HERE.
To view The City of Savannah’s Event calendar, please click HERE. Please note that there may be filming restrictions during certain events and the availability of City services at those times.
Failure of the production company to comply with the City of Savannah guidelines and conditions set forth in each permit, or the use of any location not specified in the permit, shall give Special Events, Film & Tourism grounds to revoke the permit or take other restrictive actions as necessary.
If a production preps, films, or wraps a location without a permit, the shoot will be shut down and the production may be fined.
Please Note: A new fee structure will go into effect April 1st 2023. For an advance copy of the fee changes please reach out the Office of Special Events, Film, and Tourism.
The City of Savannah charges a one-time non-refundable $25 Application Processing Fee per location
All Fees Are Non-refundable Except In Extraordinary Circumstances
|Student Permit||$30 per location|
Any production associated with a class grade
|Professional Permit||$250 per location|
Any professional production requiring a permit to film
Any professional production that does not need to set up at a specific location and has a crew size of ten (10) people or less
|Drone Permit||$125 per location|
This fee is in addition to Student, Blanket, and Professional permits for any production that has drone work
|Rush Fees||Additional required fee for permits submitted less than 24-72 hours in advance.|
Note: Submission of a Rush Application does NOT guarantee approval
$75 per location – within 72 hours of production
$100 per location – within 48 hour of production
$300 per location – within 24 hours of production
|Amendment Fees||This fee is charged in addition, per occurrence, and per location|
$100 – low impact (minor changes such as parking requests)
$200–medium impact (moderate changes such as equipment or roads)
$300 – high impact (major changes such as film dates or traffic control)
|Parking Fee||On Street – North of Victory Drive – $2/hr per space|
|On – Site Services Fee||Charged for filming at a City of Savannah owned property when a City staff member is required to be on-site during production|
$150/day – per staff member, per location
$500/day CAP – maximum fee regardless of number of locations
|Historic Properties Impact Fee||Charged per permit, per location. Please note that these locations are only available to professional productions. Students may not film at these sites. |
City Hall – assessed based on impact
Minimum $750/day // Maximum $3,000/day
Cluskey Embankment Store – assessed based on impact
Minimum $750/day // Maximum $1000/day
Savannah Powder Magazine – assessed based on impact
Minimum $750/day // Maximum $800/day
Payment can be made with check or money order made payable to the City of Savannah. “Film Permit Fee” should be identified on the “notes” line of the check or money order.
For More Information
Special Events, Film & Tourism
1 Waring Drive – inside of Daffin Park
Savannah, Georgia 31404
Savannah Police Department Fees
|Extra-Duty Type||Regular Day||Holiday|
|Professional Film Supervisor||$55.00/hr||$60.00/hr|
|Last Minute Job Notifications||+ $5.00/hr||+ $10.00/hr|
- Events requiring five (5) or more officers to work simultaneously require a minimum of one (1) Film Supervisor.
- All rates are billed at a four (4) hour time minimum.
- Officers shall not negotiate extra-duty lower pay rates with employers.
- Cost Recovery rates apply to all extra duty jobs.
If a production needs to cancel a scheduled officer, you must do so 24 hours prior to the officer’s scheduled time. If you need to cancel or reschedule due to weather, you must cancel 4 hours prior to the officer’s scheduled time.
Professional Productions are billed via invoice from the SPD Outside Employment Office.
Download Full Police Film Policy.
Savannah Police Department Recovery Fees
|Cost Recovery – Administrative Fee||$1.00/hour|
|Cost Recovery – City Vehicle||$6.00/hour|
Note: City of Savannah Police Officers, Police Vehicles, Police K9, Mounted Patrol and Police Buildings are not available to use in films and photo shoots.
Savannah Fire Department
Any special effects that include explosives or fire will require a permit from Savannah Fire Department.
Savannah Fire Permit Fee Schedule
|Fire Marshal||$50/hour (4-hour minimum)|
Savannah Fire Marshal’s Office
Type of Insurance Required: Commercial General Liability
Minimum Limits (per occurrence): $1,000,000
Insurance Certificate addressed as follows:
The Mayor and Aldermen of the City of Savannah C/O Susan Broker
P.O. Box 1027, Savannah, GA 31402
Note: Evidence of Insurance must be submitted before a permit can be effective.
Notification of Affected Businesses and Residents
The production company is required to notify all businesses and residents affected by the filming activity within a two block radius. Notification shall take place following the City’s review of the application and no later than 48 hours in advance of the film activity.
** The City of Savannah requires productions to notify all businesses and residents within a two-block radius of all filming activity on either public or private property regardless if a permit is issued.**
Download an example of a notification letter.
All notification letters must be approved and uploaded using this form in order to obtain the requested permit. Notification must be printed on YELLOW paper and distributed to all business and residents at least 48hours in advance of filming activity.
Confirmation of delivery may be requested of production to prove distribution.
Special Events, Film & Tourism reserves the right to deny or revoke permits where insufficient time has been allowed for proper notification, or when the notification process has been improperly applied.
The Production Company must notify impacted properties, as determined by the Director of Special Events, Film and Tourism or his/her Designee, no less than 48 hours prior to the presence of any film-related activity in the permitted area. Failure to do so will result in a fee charged to the Production Company.
The following fees will be charged to production companies found to be out of compliance:
First Offense – Up to $1,500 and suspension of Film Permit
Second Offense – Up to $5,000 and suspension of Film Permit
For More on Permitting, please contact:
Film Services Coordinator
Special Events, Film & Tourism
City of Savannah
912.351.3837 (Office) / 912.661.7153 (Cell)